Monday, March 9, 2015

For Pla

Hey there internet lurkers,
today's blog post is going to be a little different. Nothing about my latest buys or parties I've attended. It's about something more serious and something that actually means so much more than all the little things in our day to day life. 

A few minutes ago I stumbled across the following video and I felt so heartbroken by it that I felt like I needed to say something. 

It's a pretty good documentary by an indie Canadian film maker. I really really really encourage you guys to watch, but if you're pressed for time here is a synopsis by the film maker himself:

"Filmed in 2002 - Bangkok Girl provides a glimpse into Thailand's notorious and booming night scene through the experiences of a 19-year-old bar girl. Working in the bars from the age of thirteen, she has managed to avoid selling her body—a remarkable revelation given her surroundings — but her refusal to take part in this all-too-common profession for young Thai women cannot last. The marketing of the night scene geared to foreigners has forever changed the city, the economy, the Thai people's lives and desires. A daring and unabashed look at a popular Western predilection through the eyes of one girl."

Basically, the story is about this 19-year-old girl named, Pla. It's a insight to her life and how it is like for a young Thai girl living in Bangkok. Through the video, you are immediately drawn in by his charismatic personality, pleasant smile and her innocence. 

It occurred to me that we were the same age. Just because we were born in different environments, we live different lives. It really makes me wonder why life is so unfair. I know I shouldn't whine about this because I'm already so fortunate but I feel so guilty for being able to enjoy the simple pleasures of life. In the video, the narrator mentioned how it is difficult for a Thai girl not to be swayed into the night life industry as it pays 10 times more than any other job available.

Pla didn't admit to doing any of these acts till the very very end. She said that a "Falang" (their term for "foreigner"/"ang moh") had been chasing her at the bar for 7 months and her boss threatened to fire her if she didn't oblige. The last few minutes of the video really broke my heart. The obviously drunken British man was just grabbing a very reluctant Pla as she struggles to fake a smile.

Throughout the video, I was just thinking how this documentary would probably be really beneficial for Pla. She showcases her bright personality and eagerness to learn. I thought someone would poach her or just approach her to help.

How wrong I was.

As said in the video, Pla passed away 1 week after the video was shot because of "heart conditions". I was devastated. I felt so sorry for her. However, like my friend said, there are hundreds, no, thousands of others just like Pla. I felt like I needed to do something about it so I'm writing this blog post, hoping to enlighten at least a few of you of the plight of these Bangkok girls. I hope you have a new perspective on the night life in Thailand.

Let's all try to be more grateful :)

xoxo Miranda

No comments: